View my publications at SSRN:
View my publications at BePress:
Dr. Arianne Renan Barzilay is an Assistant Professor at the University of Haifa Faculty of Law. She joined the faculty in 2012, after conducting a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Haifa Faculty of Law. She earned her J.S.D. and LL.M. from New York University School of Law and her LL.B. from Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law (magna cum laude), after serving as a research and teaching assistant in both institutions. At the University of Haifa Faculty of Law, she teaches courses on family law, labor and employment, feminist theories, economic inequality within marriage, and employment discrimination. She was recently voted Outstanding Teacher (University-wide). Her research concerns the regulation of family and employment. She uses historical, socio-legal and gender analysis in her work, and has written on topics such as sex discrimination in employment, in the family, and the work-family conflict. Her fields of interest include Family law, Equality among Spouses, Reproductive Rights and Technologies, Employment Equality, History of Regulation of Employment and the Family, Feminist Theories and Histories, andWorking-Class Social Feminism.
Her recent publications include: You’re on Your Own, Baby: Reflections on Capato’s Legacy,Indiana Law Review (2013), Back to the Future: Introducing Constructive Feminism for the Twenty First Century – A New Paradigm for the Family and Medical Leave Act, 6 Harvard Law and Policy Review 407(2012), Labor Regulation as Family Regulation: Decent Work and Decent Families, 33Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law 119 (2012), Working Parents: Multidimensionalism and Working Class Social Feminism – A Theoretical Framework for Reconciling Work and Family in Israel, 35 Tel Aviv University Law Review 306 (2012), Women at Work: Toward an Inclusive Narrative of the Rise of the Regulatory State, 31 Harvard Journal of Law and Gender 169 (2008).
Arianne is recipient of a 3-year MOST Grant for Infrastructure in Social Sciences on Legal Mechanisms for Promoting Women: Re-evaluating the Gender Equity Aspects of Affirmative Action and Paternal Leave, 200,000 NIS (with Dr. Rimalt), and of the Returning Scientist Award , a Post-Doctoral Fellowship Award (from the Israeli Council on Higher Education in conjunction with the University of Haifa), the Bar-Ilan University Gender Studies Junior Scholar's Award, and a five-year JSD Fellowship from NYU School of Law
Arianne clerked for the Israeli Supreme Court, in the chambers of Justice Theodor Or, and worked at the law firms of S. Horowitz, and Bach, Arad, Scharf in Tel Aviv, and Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson in New York.
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Haifa Faculty of Law
- 2003-2008 J.S.D. New York University School of Law
- 2002-2003 LL.M. New York University School of Law
- 1995-1999 LL.B. Tel Aviv University School of Law (magna cum laude)
Fields of Intrests
- Family law
- Law of Work and Family
- Employment Equality
- New Forms of Employment
- Reproductive Rights and Technologies
- Neglected Legal Histories
- Feminist Theories
- Working-Class Social Feminism
Scholarships and Awards
- 2015-2018 MOST Grant-Ministry of Science, Infrastructure For Social Sciences – Legal Mechanism for Promoting Women, Re-evaluating Gender Equity Aspects of Affirmative Action and Parental Leave (with Dr. Rimalt) 173,000 NIS.
- 2009-2011 Returning Scientist, Ministry of Immigration, Israel
- 2009-2011 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Israeli Council on Higher Education, Israel
- 2008-2009 University of Haifa School of Law Post-Doctoral Fellowship
- 2008-2009 Bar IlanUniveristy Gender Studies Junior Scholar's Award
- 2002-2008 New York University School of Law, JSD Award
- Teaching and Research Assistant , New York University School of Law, Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law
- Clerked for Justice Theordor Or, Israeli Supreme Court
- Attorney: Bach, Arad, Scharf& Co. , Israel.
- Member Law and Society Association
- Member Law and Society Forum, University of Haifa Faculty of Law
- Member, Center for Gender, Law and Policy (in establishment)
- Member, Teaching Committee, Appeals Committee, University of Haifa Faculty of Law